Thursday, January 9, 2014

Day 8: Art Every Day - Knitting

After listening to 7 hours of knitting original cuff-down socks on Craftsy, along with listening to many You-tube videos on continental knitting and various knitting stitches, I purchased some yarn and needles and am ready to stitch my gauge swatch.  Here is a photo of what I have started. 

I'm afraid that posting every day I'm exposing too much of myself! You will now see how I jump from thing to thing on a DAILY basis.  Ha ha.  I don't mind, but I'm sure others will have there say! I've been saving knitting patterns on my computer for ages when I don't knit. My daughter mentioned once she wanted to knit and I'd like to see that happen, but I can't help her because I don't knit. Yet. I'm not the kind of person who likes to start learning at the beginning with a small simple project (that I usually don't want). I like to jump in where it's difficult and a challenge and then when I can complete it I am very proud of myself.  lol!  I did knit some of a baby blanket when I was quite young.  I could knit, purl, and did some cables.  I recently started to knit a scarf to try and get back into it, but I chose some very difficult yarn to work with and so I got stuck and couldn't fix it. So, I decided to work with yarn that is a little less fussy, but chose a not so simple project to begin - socks.  I hope this project doesn't go the way of the scarf. I won't let the scarf failure deter me though, and hope to go back one day and fix it up (VERY pretty yarn).

I decided I needed lessons and looked around town to find them.  Quite expensive - $54 for 3 2 hr lessons, $25 for one 2 hour lesson,etc. My youngest daughter suggested I look online.  I found some great sites with nice resources and some nice videos for specific skills.  Fortunately Craftsy was offering a first class at a great bargain, so I took the class for $14, normally $39.  It is a great class so far with nearly all the detail I need as a non-knitter.  What I don't get through the class I found in on-line videos.  So far I have spent about 10 hours just learning, so it is a big time investment. The Craftsy class is more than I thought it would be.  I expected to have them teach me how to make one way of knitting a sock and I'd make it.  Instead it is like a sock designer course (well worth the $14.00).  She teaches you 3 ways of making heels and 3 ways of making toes.  She gets you started with some patterns too. I have 3 lessons left where she is going to knit a sock while we knit ours. I am set for a long time with knowledge to try a whole variety of socks. I will let you know if I am able to actually knit the sock after the lesson. Only time will tell. Lots of time. I look forward to the time when I'm able to just sit in front of the tv and knit a sock with a lovely rhythm to my work. I will make gifts for my family at Christmas. A handmade sock is a luxury to behold.  (-; But I will be patient with myself, take it slow, practice where I need to and enjoy the process.

To begin my sock knitting journey, I've decided to switch from the English way of knitting to the continental way of knitting.  So, my swatch is taking a while while I adjust to the new way of doing things.  I think it will prove to be a much faster way of knitting and they say my gauge will be more even. The purl is proving to be a challenge.  So, instead of stitching in my sock pattern I'm going to stitch knits and purls until I get a little more competent at it.

No comments: